The Afghan Ministry of Defense has taken over the new Kabul complex, which is a major military base for US forces in the center of the capital.
This came, according to what was reported by Talu News, a spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of Defense, Fuad Aman, today, Saturday.
Aman said during a ceremony held to hand over the base that: “The Supreme Commander of the American and NATO forces, General Scott Miller, emphasized the international community’s continued support for the Afghan forces.”
And in the wake of US President Joe Biden’s decision to withdraw all US forces from Afghanistan by the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
The activities of withdrawing those forces, which began during the last week of last April, continued.
On Tuesday, the US Central Forces Command (CENTCOM) announced that the withdrawal process from Afghanistan has reached between 16 and 25 percent.
Meanwhile, military officials stated that the operation is expected to be completed in mid-July instead of September 11th.
Central Command said in a statement: “Since the decision of President (Biden), the United States has removed about 160 C-17 shipments from Afghanistan.
10,000 pieces of equipment were handed over to the Defense Logistic Agency for destruction. “
The statement indicated that the United States has handed over 5 military installations in Afghanistan to the Afghan National Army.
On Thursday, President Ashraf Ghani said at a ceremony held at Kabul University, “With the withdrawal of foreign forces from the country.
Afghanistan opens a new chapter in its relations with its allies and the region, and it requires proper planning. “
Afghanistan has suffered a war since 2001, when an international military coalition led by Washington overthrew the Taliban.
This is due to its association at the time with Al Qaeda, which adopted the September 11 attacks of the same year in the United States.