On Thursday, the United Nations announced its concern over the border clashes between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, welcoming the two sides’ declaration of a ceasefire.
This was stated by Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesman for the Secretary-General of the United Nations, at a press conference at the headquarters of the international organization in New York.
Earlier today, Kyrgyzstan announced its control of a Tajik border post during violent confrontations that left at least one dead and 18 wounded in a disputed border area.
The Kyrgyz National Security Council said in a statement that his country’s forces had taken control of this site.
This is in response to shelling by Tajik forces, which caused a fire to break out at a border point controlled by Kyrgyzstan.
“We are following these reports (on border developments between the two countries) with concern,” the UN spokesman said.
We are also aware that a ceasefire agreement has been announced by Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. “
He added, “If this is the case, it will be welcome, and we will encourage the two sides to continue direct negotiations to resolve any outstanding issues by peaceful means.”
And after these clashes, which resulted in deaths and dozens of injured, according to international media.
Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan announced a comprehensive ceasefire earlier on Thursday.